Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Looking Ahead at 2011...

TIME. Oh, how I wish I had more of it - or maybe used it more wisely?! I don't know. I try to look back on my days and see where I could've maybe, just maybe, gotten a few more things accomplished, but the conclusion is always the same.
There are many things I would like more time for:
-I would love to blog more. Most are probably thinking "gosh, you blog plenty", but I would love to blog more of my thoughts. I really do have so much to say - ha!

-I would love to read more. I know, I know.... after college I made a goal with myself that I wouldn't read a book for pleasure for like a year (because I was so sick of reading .... I know, stellar goal). The problem is, I accomplished that goal .... and I've hardly ever found the time to pick up a book for pleasure since - and my stack of books I'd like to read is GROWING TALL. Of course, if I found/made the time to read more, then I would have the other problem of NOT falling asleep while reading :-)

-I would love to get caught up - and stay caught up - on pictures of the boys. I have so many on the camera and computer that need printing, but I think I am at May 2010, so I have several months of catch up.
-I would love to learn more about taking pictures in general.

-I would love to Email and keep up with my friends more.

-I would love to go through this house and purge things not being used in preparation for our moves this year.

-I would love to keep up with the laundry :-)

Honestly, the list goes on and on. I think I've been reflecting on how many hours are in every day, because this year is going to be quite busy - and I'm feeling crunched for time. Not only am I about to turn 30 in about a month (that's a whole other blog post), but we are moving to Ft. Benning, GA in April and then back to 29 Palms, CA in October. For a "type A" person like myself - 2 moves is a bit overwhelming. The slight adventurer in me thinks it's exciting, too - but the organizer in me is thinking about how there isn't enough TIME to prepare for all of these changes, much less work on the things I would love to be doing (list above) :-)
When I start looking ahead and feeling overwhelmed - and feeling that I'm already so behind, I bring myself back to the book of Matthew. Matthew 6:25a, "So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life" (v.27) "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not." (v.33) "Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern." (v.34) "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring about its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."
I find so much reassurance in knowing that God knows my heart, knows my worries, and promises to take care of my family and me - and tells me NOT to worry.

So, you may be wondering about that conclusion I come to at the end of EACH day ... after all my feelings of wishing I had more TIME and after all of my worries .... the conclusion I come to is ALWAYS the same. The TIME that I have, I love that it is spent with these 2 precious boys below (and 3, when Chris is able to be around). The conclusion I come to at the end of each day is that my TIME was well spent if I'm spending it playing and hanging out with these sweet faces - these amazing gifts that I've been given. One day, I'll have more TIME - maybe. And if I don't, that's really okay, too. I may not get through that stack of books as fast as I want, I may get really behind in printing out pictures and putting them into photo albums, and I may never keep up with the laundry, BUT I'm making an effort not to worry about tomorrow, I'm just focusing (and thankful for) the TIME I'm given today....






2 comments:

Kate said...

I certainly hope time creeps by over the next few months before ya'll venture off to beautiful southern California...I'm going to need time to adjust to that :( ...but in the meantime your precious kiddos make my heart smile : )

Jill Brisken said...

I love your reflections in this post. I feel so many of the same things you feel every day too, and you are right, you just have to be thankful for the time you are given and enjoy it! The great thing about blogs, is that many friends can keep up with you without having to email each individually. It allows for still knowing what's going on in each other's lives, so I love that! And I have found with pictures, after blogging since Caleb was a baby 4 1/2 years ago, that even though I don't have pics in albums other than their baby books, when when we want to reminisce we just all gather around the computer and look at pictures and memories on my blog, and they love doing that with me! So, it's an "online album" in a way with memories! :-)